Collectors Universe Jobs
Graphic Designer (PCGS)
Summary: Design and produce custom inserts for PCGS-graded coins.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Layout and design labels
- Print internal copies for distribution
- Convert files to PDFs or other formats
- Meet all design or production needs that arise
- Convert label designs to product mockups upon request and as needed
- Keeping good working relations with co-workers, dealers, advertisers, and vendors
- Maintain archive files for future reference
- Minor repair and maintenance of the computers, color copier and other marketing equipment
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Design – Demonstrate creativity, technical ability and attention to detail.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Work well with fellow designers and others within the company.
- Project Management – Coordinates assigned projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time.
- Technical Skills – Be able to use design programs quickly and effectively and share skills with others in department as needed.
- Customer Service – Manages all customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
- Teamwork – balances individual and team responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests.
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self; in own actions, aspires and motivates co-workers to perform well; Accepts feedback from others.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Business Acumen – Understands our general business, to aid in implementing design decisions.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Works with integrity and ethically.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans own work activities; Uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Dependability – Arrives at work on time every day. Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to additional hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Two years of college level education minimum; 3-5 years experience in graphic design; the ideal candidate will have experience in small-form packaging design.
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos; ability to effectively present in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization at multiple levels of employment/management. Knowledge of production details and ability to effectively communicate with printing companies and co-workers.
Computer skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Design software (QuarkXPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator); Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software (Microsoft Excel and Word); Compression and PDF software (Stuffit and Adobe Acrobat/Distiller), these are just the minimum required. Must be familiar with scanning equipment and process.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions; Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the some of the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate with an occasional fluctuation.