Collectors Universe, a publicly traded, provider of third-party authentication and grading services to the collectibles market, with over 350 employees and offices in Santa Ana, CA, New Jersey, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Paris and Tokyo, is seeking a Research Manager. Collectors was founded in 1986 and since that time we have graded and authenticated more than 75 million items. The Research Manager will manage and train the Research Department staff; ensure items are recognized accurately and efficiently; and department goals are met. The position is based in Santa Ana, CA.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the staffing, training and scheduling of Research department personnel.
- Monitor staff productivity and assign tasks as needed.
- Create and maintain departmental structure, morale and sense of team.
- Develop production goals and ensure that goals are met.
- Plan employee schedules to meet daily operations goals.
- Develop staff skills and create a rewarding and fulfilling work environment.
- Create effective solutions for issues that arise within the Research Department.
- Ensure that all team members are using the appropriate resources to identify items.
- Actively devise strategies and plans to keep product backlog to acceptable levels.
- Maintain accurate records of cataloged cards.
- Ensure proper procedures are followed and devise techniques to improve team efficiency.
- Implement improvements to keep mechanical error percentage to a minimum.
- Act as a knowledgeable and accessible resource for team members.
- Work closely with other departments to ensure orders are completed in the most efficient manner.
Skills Required to be Successful in the Position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, History or related field, preferred
- 3 to 5 years of experience in research
- 5 years of Management Experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within trading cards, tickets and other forms of sports and non-sports collectibles.
- Ability to understand and relay company policies and procedures.